Podware with the data on USB
Podware on 2 computers – with the data on a USB
Aim: to be able to use Podware on two or more computers in different locations e.g. Clinic and Home.
Podware needs to be installed on both computers but the patient data file (Tables6)is stored on USB.
Use this method if:
1. You don’t need to have two or more people accessing data simultaneously
2. You have a USB stick OR exrternal drive OR local file that synchronises in the cloud (Google Drive, Box, Sky Drive etc)
How to make it work
- Install Podware on both computers .
- Close Podware on both computerrs
- Copy the Tables6 file from the Podware folder on computer 1 onto the USB drive, or external drive.
- Open Podware and Connect to the data on the USB drive instead of the data on the computer: by going to:
- Podware Settings > Connect to data tables
- In the box/browser that appears navigate to your USB then select and save the Tables file (the one you’ve already copied to the USB drive)
- Say yes to the password question. Password = talus12
- Enter the password and click OK
The little blue circle will spin for a few moments, then the screen will flicker and the blue circle will disappear.
Job done- you should be able to see the Patient Records or Menu screen
On Computer 2 connect the USB and do step 3 as above. Now any patient records you write will be stored on the USB drive.The above instructions only have to be done once.
When you shut podware and take out the USB the data will be in the USBwhich can be connected the other machine and Podware should connect automatically to it without doing the above process again.
You still need to do a backup of the data because the only copy you have is on the USB and if it fails you’ll lose the records.
If you already use backup software then simply add the Tables file on the USB to the list of folders/files to be backed up.
Otherwise simply copy the Tables file from the USB to any other hard drive or to cloud storage. Do that every day if you’ve used Podware.
You can only use Podware on either computer when the USB is attached therefore you can only use it on one computer at a time.
Podware will not work properly if the USB is not plugged in to your computer.
Note about drive letters:
Make sure the drive letter for the USB drive is consistent – if not: Go to Start > settings > control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management. Select the disk, rt click it and choose “Change drive letter and paths”, choose a letter for your USB drive.
Your two computers may name your USB drive differently, especially if you have more than one USB device (eg camera, mobile phone, memory stick) attached to your computer. However you can use ‘computer management’ to make sure your drive gets given the same drive letter on both computers. Make sure the drive letter for the USB drive is consistent – if not: Go to Start > settings > control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management. Select the disk, rt click it and choose “Change drive letter and paths”
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: News and information about help authoring tools and software